Re: [My Linkedin Power Forum] Re: Banned from LinkedIn LIONs

Scott!

Thank you for mentioning that email.  I was having exactly the same thought.  I do
recall that message sent out by John declaring a truce.  I immediately removed my
email address from my name field and placed it in my headline.  I was so relieved
that the issue had finally been settled.

Please find the email you mention below:


**************************************************************
John L Evans to MyLinkedinPowerForum.
show details 7/13/07





LinkedIn are particularly concerned about people including email
addresses, and indeed, any non-alpha character in the Name Fields.
In agreeing to resolve the Group issue, with LinkedIn, I agreed to
encourage LIONs not to include [LION] and an email address in their
Name Fields. [LION] is no longer essential as a LION has a Blue LION
badge now, so it is possible to identify all LIONs by searching for
LinkedIn LION Group Badge wearers - a facility only open to fellow
LIONs - good!

But, on the other hand, an e-mail address is still necessary to invite
someone - so I also said that we would encourage those who wanted to
display their e-mail address prominently, to use the Headline Field
rather than the Name.

So LI can clean up the Name Field problems without adversely affecting
the LIONs - there is a purge a-comin'!!

Cheers John

********************************************************

Just another visionary with searchable gmail.

Happy connecting!

Thubten

--
Thubten Comerford - Visionary
Chief Attraction Officer - Lumen Global, Ltd.
Email: EnlightenedVision@gmail.com
Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/thubten
Connect with me at:   http://tinyurl.com/yonxur

On Jan 2, 2008 10:48 PM, Scott Allen <scott@thevirtualhandshake.com> wrote:

You know, I seem to recall something a few months back about the LIONs group having come to some kind of agreement with LinkedIn to remove email addresses from the name field.  Did I just imagine that?  I couldn't find the message, but I could swear I remember that conversation.

Anyway, it's a clear, incontrovertible violation of LinkedIn's user agreement, whether they enforce it or not.  Seems kind of strange to give somebody grief over simply asking other people to adhere to the user agreement.

Besides, I think Jeffrey was abundantly clear… this is NOT an "open networking" issue – it's a system maintenance issue.  Simply put, the practice creates bad data and breaks systems.

That's why the whole notion of "everyone can use the system however they want" is completely flawed in a network.  The behavior of one person in the network does affect other people in the network.  Putting your email address in your name is, quite simply, discourteous to the people in your network – it creates extra work for them to either edit or remove the bad data.

Just put it somewhere else – put it in your headline, or at the top of your profile, or whatever – just take it out of the name field.  Is that really too much to ask?

Scott Allen
Connections





__._,_.___

When you need help, remember one thing:  "Turn It Into A Discussion!"

My Linkedin Power Forum is a professional and friendly discussion group where thousands of members discuss and learn ways to improve their business networking skills.

Encourage your friends to join you and your 8,000 MLPF/WHPF friends as we focus on the power of networking to benefit our businesses, careers, and causes.

Add MLPF/WHPF Logo To Your Linkedin Profile:
http://www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.BIZ |http://www.WrightHandPowerForum.BIZ

Other versions of My Linkedin Power Forum:
www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.net (Facebook)
www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.org (Ning)
www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.biz (Linkedin Groups)

When you need help, remember one thing:  There's power in discussion so, turn to My Linkedin Power Forum and turn your problem into a discussion.
********
Can You DIGG It? Stan Relihan Interviews Vincent Wright on Connections:
http://connections.thepodcastnetwork.com/2007/12/16/connections-015-king-of-the-yahoo-groups/
********




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___