RE: [My Linkedin Power Forum] Asymmetrical relationships (Re:Why have 500+ Contacts)

So was LinkedIn surprised by Scott encouraging 'strangers' to invite him and customise the invitation, or were they surprised by Scott just getting them to customise the invitation?  The former indicates their surprise at encouraging 'strangers' to connect and the latter just customising their invite but no problem with the strangers bit.
 

Kathie M. Thomas, AFAIOP, MVA, ASO, VA Coach & Trainer
Award-winning "A Clayton's Secretary"® est. 1994, Virtual Assistant Network
http://www.vadirectory.net/blog/ VA Network, Coaching & Training
http://www.worth-more-than-rubies.com New Book
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kathiethomas LinkedIn Profile
***************************************************************

 


From: MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Scott Allen
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 5:38 PM
To: MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [My Linkedin Power Forum] Asymmetrical relationships (Re:Why have 500+ Contacts)

Jason wrote:

> I learned an interesting lesson from Scott Allen about this... I don't have a reference, so if I say it wrong then take it as a JA thing, not a SA thing.
> Scott helped me understand that even though I may not "know and trust" them, and there is an imbalance in our relationship, it might be okay to connect with them.

 

Here’s the reference ;-)

Asymmetrical Relationships and LinkedIn

It was kind of funny, because I did a webinar to about 700 recruiters a few weeks ago, sponsored by LinkedIn. At the end of the webinar, I invited all the attendees to invite me to connect, but I told them that they had to customize their invitation and indicate that they had attended that webinar or I probably wouldn’t accept it.

 

LinkedIn was a little surprised by that, but once I explained it, and how asymmetrical relationships don’t fit neatly into their model, they calmed down.

 

Scott Allen
Connections

512.215.9720

When an email just won't do

Link to Your World

The Relationship Economy is here, now

The Virtual Handshake

Opening doors and closing deals online

Linked Intelligence

The smart source for all things LinkedIn

About Entrepreneurs

Free resources to start and grow your business

 

 

 

__._,_.___

When you need help, remember one thing:  "Turn It Into A Discussion!"

My Linkedin Power Forum is a professional and friendly discussion group where thousands of members discuss and learn ways to improve their business networking skills.

Encourage your friends to join you and your 8,000 MLPF/WHPF friends as we focus on the power of networking to benefit our businesses, careers, and causes.

Add MLPF/WHPF Logo To Your Linkedin Profile:
http://www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.BIZ |http://www.WrightHandPowerForum.BIZ

Other versions of My Linkedin Power Forum:
www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.net (Facebook)
www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.org (Ning)
www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.biz (Linkedin Groups)

When you need help, remember one thing:  There's power in discussion so, turn to My Linkedin Power Forum and turn your problem into a discussion.
********
Can You DIGG It? Stan Relihan Interviews Vincent Wright on Connections:
http://connections.thepodcastnetwork.com/2007/12/16/connections-015-king-of-the-yahoo-groups/
********




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___