[My Linkedin Power Forum] Re: RE:The Business Management Edge

Hi Marilyn,

My name is Yemi Sekoni, and I am an Independent Sales Director with
Mary Kay. I just joined the group a few days ago, and I enjoyed
reading your message below. I also have a love of learning, and I
have my Bachelor's degree in Education, a Postgraduate Diploma in
Marketing and a Master's in Business Administration. I must say
that, like you, my decision to obtain the MBA did not stem from any
desire to gain a competitive edge in whatever `corporate environment'
I found myself - I just decided while I was getting the first degree,
that I wanted to get one – just because I could. Period. So I did;
and I have never felt that investing several years of my life in the
pursuance of knowledge, whether practical or conceptual, was a waste.

I chose to become an Independent Beauty Consultant last year when I
got laid off twice within an eight month period, and decided that I
no longer wanted to leave my ability to pay my bills at the mercy of
any company. I am now an Independent Sales Director with Mary Kay,
and yes, you are right, the training I have gained, since starting my
business, has really given me a foundation in business management,
leadership and ethics that I never got in the classroom.

Mary Kay Ash was a woman of such high integrity and very strong in
her belief about doing unto others as you would have them do unto
you, whether they were an existing customer, potential customer or
not at all, and I strive everyday to run my business that way. What
I have found is that this practice has freed me from the stress of
toiling just to make another 'buck' and enabled me to enjoy what I do
(immensely, I might add) while measuring my success by the
satisfaction that my client base derives from using my services.

Cliché as this may sound, "the mind is a terrible thing to waste" so
I say, "YOU GO GIRL"

And I hope the exams went well!

Y


--- In MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn" <M-Boards@...>
wrote:
>
> Hi MLPF Team,
>
> I like this topic... Thanks Jesse...
>
> I like this topic because it was one that I personally struggled
with for many years
> prior to re-enrolling in college myself... after much reflection I
came to the decision
> that I did indeed "want" to complete both my BA and follow-up with
a JD (similar to an MBA)
>
> At that time as an agent manager of an insurance agency that
produced several million in net written premiums per year...
> I was already making more than enough to "just pay the bills".
Therefore; my decision had nothing to do with monetary gains
> or "professionally" advancing... The company that I was employed
with did not even offer a tuition reimbursement plan.
> They could of cared less if I had a degree or not and at times I
think they saw my pursuit of a degree as inappropriate
> considering my work load... They only cared that I "produced" net
revenue, kept it a legal and above board, while keeping their
employees happy...
>
> So, no I do not "feel" that I "really" need a degree of any kind my
certificate's and advanced C.E. course have carried me quite a way...
>
> And most of my very best training came from my 12 year tenure with
Mary Kay Cosmetics... those ladies taught me more about
> being disciplined, professional, having balance, God, the Golden
Rule-i.e.-HR, Business Admin, Sales, research, accounting,
> finance, marketing, and even life than any institution of education
ever could have or will... Mrs. Black having found me (being 25
years my senior)
> at 21 years old was truly "Devine" intervention! We are still very
good friends today matter of fact she will be arriving in the morning
(from Memphis) to visit with
> me for the weekend... and no, I do not sell MK these days... so, if
you need a facial, I'll have to pass your number on to her or Lenore.
>
> What is also mentionable is that I never paid more than $20 bucks
for a "training" class...
> 20 being on the high end... Now their Gala 'Seminar" well that's a
different story, I spent about $1000-1200 on that little yearly
trip... but that's okay
> I went because it was so much fun not because I felt I needed to or
it was required... but, of course they "highly" recommended you come!
>
> I say that for 2 reasons: I have been pursuing my BA for almost 3
years now and my instructors often muse (out loud) "why" I did not
CLEP or work study their course...
> and two because after working for 5 years in what would be
considered a "white" collar industry I have came to appreciate what
those
> MK ladies taught me! Especially in the area's of business ethics as
well as creating income producing activity!
>
> All of that said, I am seeking my degree purely for "personal"
fulfillment and I will go on to law school in the next 2 years for
the same reasons...
> So, obviously I feel that a person can be, whatever their personal
definition of successful is, with or without a degree of any kind...
>
> I believe that in the professional world a degree is often required
because it can lend credibility to your character... meaning that you
can
> obviously set a goal and be disciplined enough to work hard for it
and achieve it... A person whom posses an MBA is respected for those
and other
> obvious reasons... And by all rights should be... they devoted hard
work, effort, and extreme discipline, as well paid as a substantial
financial investment
> in their educational credentials!
>
> [] I do, however, recommend that if you have any credits at an
institution, be aware that after 10 years they will no longer be
valid!
>
> So, if you plan on going back don't be like me and keep thinking
and thinking until you loose all your credits... I would have went
back a few
> years earlier had I been privy to this info... Nothing like
starting Fresh though!
>
> Okay, so now I am off to take my final exams for this quarter!
>
> You guys and gals Make it a Great day!
>
> Oh and BTW I am not telling you all to run out and sign up with
your nearest MK Rep. in order to get some
> inexpensive-yet high quality business training! LOL
>
> It just happened to be the "course" that God had selected for me in
that stage of my life...
>
> We grow and we move on, hopefully, leaving everyone better off than
they were when we originally encountered them...
>
> To Your Success-God Bless,
> Marilyn A. Magallanes
> Customized Wellness SolutionsT Provider
>
> "Promoting the Wellness of America One Health Professional At a
Time"
> http://CustomizingWellness.com
>
> http://SuperCenterPLUS.com
> be sure to check out the Health & Nutrition Section
>
> http://TeachThemToCare.org/aboutus.aspx
> http://Marilyn-Magallanes.us
>
> http://MySpace.com/mamm1
> http://YouTube.com/mamm11
> http://Can-We-Talk-About-It.BlogSpot.com
>
> http://LinkedIn.com/in/mamm1
>


When you need help, remember one thing: "Turn It Into A Discussion!"

My Linkedin Power Forum is a professional and friendly discussion group where thousands of members discuss and learn ways to improve their business networking skills.

Encourage your friends to join you and your 8,000 MLPF/WHPF friends as we focus on the power of networking to benefit our businesses, careers, and causes.

Add MLPF/WHPF Logo To Your Linkedin Profile:
http://www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.BIZ |http://www.WrightHandPowerForum.BIZ

Other versions of My Linkedin Power Forum:
www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.net (Facebook)
www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.org (Ning)
www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.biz (Linkedin Groups)

When you need help, remember one thing: There's power in discussion so, turn to My Linkedin Power Forum and turn your problem into a discussion.
********
Can You DIGG It? Stan Relihan Interviews Vincent Wright on Connections:
http://connections.thepodcastnetwork.com/2007/12/16/connections-015-king-of-the-yahoo-groups/
********
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyLinkedinPowerForum/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyLinkedinPowerForum/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:MyLinkedinPowerForum-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:MyLinkedinPowerForum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
MyLinkedinPowerForum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/