Good Evening MLPF,
Oh my goodness, shame on you, I am so suppose to be working on two other important "honey" do's!! (southern slang)
(don't tell anyone smile emoticon)
But now you have just went and posted a topic in which I could not resist!
(party smile emoticon) Break Time and Thank You for the excuse- opps meant reason!
(winking smile emoticon)
Jeff, the actual definition of "Visionary" is not near as glamorous as we "envision" it to be... and matter of fact I some what resent the Merriam Webster's
Dictionary editors (lol) for relating it to this; "synonyms see imaginary"... Now all though I do not list my "profession" as a "Visionary" I still believe myself to be one...
Non the less this is still just not a "fitting" definition of Visionary! I do like the adjective entry description #4; but it is not as descriptive as it should be in my not so humble opinion...
I think that most of us reference the word "Visionary" when in relation to a person (just as you do) with something like this definition: to create, do, or produce (as something useful to another) for the first time through the use of the imagination or of ingenious thinking and experiment... but I feel it to be described much better by simply putting it in good old plain no frill southern words... a "trail blazer" one who dares to blaze a path no other has; because the dream or vision that he or she posses is bigger than him/her self and they do not only envision it but are willing to make a realism of it regardless of the complications involved along the way, if there are obstacles they just pull up the boot straps and get on with it! Plain enough I think!
(smile emoticon)
All of that said Jeff was in trying to point out that although I agree with your reservation of this word for "true pioneers" the Dictionary does not agree with us!
And although I dislike (intensely dislike) to admit that my opinions may not be the upper of correct, in this case, I think you and I are both re-miss...
Quit frankly there are zillions of astoundingly brilliant "visionaries" living right here among us... just listen to people share their hopes, wishes, dreams, and or desire's....
Really listen to them... Then watch to see if they act on them or what the hay, even ask them when or what they are going to do about those same dreams and they suddenly act like you are from the planet Mars for even thinking that they should actually couple "action" with "vision"... So, what happens next... Someone else writes that number one song or book... Someone else starts that new company... Someone else, Etcetera... Why? See the definitions, these people and especially here in the south, (hold the hate mail my friends I was born and raised in the "deep" south) are conditioned to believe all of their lives just this: Visionary-one whose ideas or projects are impractical : dreamer. And the ones who are not conditioned to this thinking are just busy trying to "survive" this life instead of "embracing" it...
I was looking at my contacts tonight and was just amazed at all of the coaches, consultants, tech's, recruiters, etcetera... there obviously is a need and these folks are filling it or my address book would not be full of them... there is also a great need in this world for "professional visionaries"... one of the very best examples I can think of is the founder of http://ModestNeeds.org he ranks as highly on my "awe" list as our visionary MLPF leader and that's not just pie in the sky or flattery... gents like these prove that need over and over as they reach out every day... if there was no need for "professional" visionaries... there'd be no Modest Needs, , etcetera...
All righty then my break time is over but not with out me attempting to bring this full circle...
With the approximate world population According to the International Programs Center, U.S. Census Bureau, the total population of the World, projected to 12/29/07 at 05:02 GMT (EST+5) being at some 6,640,525,755 people...
Should you feel honored to have so many visionaries in your network; even those that have a very broad understanding of that word?
Maybe... that's a personal choice... I can say that I would but mine is not for all... I am often the odd ball out or so I've been told...
I will say though-Compared to the actual percent of our population that is willing to be different, willing to stand-up and fight for their dreams, a cause bigger than them or even admit to having ideas other than those of the "Jones"... well considering all of this... I think I would appreciate anyone who considers themselves a visionary, even in the broadest sense... and is willing to share it with everyone on the big www.
Hey, all great things must start somewhere...
And speaking of great things... back to my "honey do's"...
and remember if I can be of any help... I am only an email or phone call away.
visionary
[source: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/visionary ]
- 1vi·sion·ary
- Function: adjective
- Date: 1648
- Function: adjective
1 a: of the nature of a vision : illusory b: incapable of being realized or achieved : utopian <a visionary scheme> c: existing only in imagination : unreal
2 a: able or likely to see visions b: disposed to reverie or imagining : dreamy
3: of, relating to, or characterized by visions or the power of vision
4: having or marked by foresight and imagination <a visionary leader> <a visionary invention>
2 a: able or likely to see visions b: disposed to reverie or imagining : dreamy
3: of, relating to, or characterized by visions or the power of vision
4: having or marked by foresight and imagination <a visionary leader> <a visionary invention>
synonyms see imaginary
------------------------
1 : one whose ideas or projects are impractical : dreamer
3 : one having unusual foresight and imagination <a visionary in the computer industry>
To Your Success-God Bless,
Marilyn A. Magallanes
Customized Wellness Solutions Provider
Marilyn A. Magallanes
Customized Wellness Solutions Provider
"Promoting the Wellness of America One Health Professional At a Time"
http://CustomizingWellness.com
http://CustomizingWellness.com
http://SuperCenterPLUS.com
be sure to check out the Health & Nutrition Section
be sure to check out the Health & Nutrition Section
--- Original message posted by "WashingtonDCLobbyist" <dclobbyist@yahoo.com> on 2007-12-28 19:12:33 ---
I noticed many people on LinkedIn list their profession as "visionary". I've always reserved that word for true pioneers; a VERY rare class of people. Yet in my network there are over 300 people who call themselves visionaries, visionary officers, and the like. Am I honored to have so many visionaries in my network or do the people in my network have a very broad understanding of that word. Thanks. JT Jeffrey L. Taylor / email: Linkedin.lobbyist(
at)gmail. / Profile: www.linkedin.com com/in/washingto nlobbyist
.