RE: [My Linkedin Power Forum] Re:Introduction: and how we reply does matter

Larry,
 
In the spirit of discussion (not argument), I want to present a different opinion.
 
Peace is not the absence of conflict. Peace is the absence of violence. When we wish people peace in a multi-cultural society, we are wishing them the opportunity to live and let live --- that is, to enjoy freedom. If that freedom is threatened by authoritarianism or totalitarianism, we should definitely do what is necessary to resist the loss of freedom, but we should ALWAYS start by trying peaceful methods. Only if those methods fail should we, as a last resort, use violence.
 
Intolerance of intolerance is NOT intolerant. To quote Lars Gustafsson:
 
There is an interpretation of the concept of tolerance where the word becomes meaningless and the concept becomes empty. That occurs when it is applied to anything and everything without discretion. To claim that we owe tolerance to everything and everybody is mindless in the same way that it is pointless to say that everything we encounter is an illusion. Which makes it senseless to make a distinction between true and forged money, hallucinations and everyday experience.
 
There is a logic of tolerance, which remains to be formalized by some future philosopher. Let me, as a starter, suggest two fairly obvious axioms:
 
  • Tolerance of intolerance yields intolerance.
  • Intolerance of intolerance yields tolerance.
 
-----Original Message-----
From: MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Larry Steinberg
Sent: Wednesday, 2007 November 21 15:59
To: MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [My Linkedin Power Forum] Re:Introduction: and how we reply does matter

Dear Friends,
I would like to point out that many platitudes are
nice to wish people on a holiday like peace or
tolerance, but can not be universally applauded. Peace
is nice to wish someone, but freedom often calls for
sacrificing peace for conflict for the greater good.
Hence the saying, "No Justice, No Peace". Tolerance
likewise is a nice platitude, but some things like
racism, cruelty, etc. can and should not be tolerated.
I am not trying to offend anyone or make any political
points, I am just pointing out that in the holiday
spirit, no matter what the holiday, we should assume
that the person making the platitude is wishing us
well and not dig too deeply into what they are
meaning. Just accept it as a friendly gesture and move
on. We will all be much happier that way.

Cheers,
Larry Steinberg
www.linkedin.com/in/larrysteinberg
--- lindy asimus <lindyasimus@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim, excuse me while I point out that your plea for
> tolerance, doesn't
> seem to apply universally.
>
> Bit of a bind?
>
> Why is it that we have such vehement tolerance for
> some - seems inclusive,
> right?
> Yet by definition, doesn't apply to others, who
> choose to post in a way that
> doesn't
> "suit" someone.
>
> Lindy
>
>
>
>
>
> On Nov 22, 2007 3:49 AM, <timplatt532@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I debated on whether to respond to the included
> response to an
> > introduction that I read in a recent Power Forum
> email, and if so how best
> > to do so. I decided not to respond but
> reconsidered and have ended up
> > writing this note, as a request for greater
> civility. I assume that the
> > person writing this response was doing so tongue
> in cheek and without malice
> > of intention but I have to add that humor does not
> always translate
> > effectively when offered in writing from relative
> strangers. We are who we
> > are, and we carry the histories we live, the good
> and everything else as
> > well. And even there it is not always easy to
> tell, and certainly from a
> > brief summary comment or two, where good lies in
> another.
> >
> > Disagreement with "big government" or government
> per se as a perhaps
> > cartoon abstraction takes on a different meaning
> when applied with seeming
> > sarcasm to specific individuals who we do not in
> fact know. I started by
> > saying I assume the response I am replying to was
> not posted to be cruel or
> > to cause harm but words can do that and words can
> cut off conversation and
> > possibilities for a great deal of good. I am
> fairly sure the response I an
> > in turn responding to left at least some other
> readers feeling
> > uncomfortable, just as it did me. I would simply
> suggest that a cutting or
> > sarcastic response be shelved and reconsidered
> rather than just being sent
> > off without further reflection.
> >
> > OK, now I have probably made a few and at least
> one person in this group
> > upset too. But I think it sufficiently important
> to speak out on behalf of
> > tolerance and consideration in what we write here,
> and how we do so, to take
> > that risk.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Tim Platt
> >
> > Timothy Platt, Ph.D.
> > timplatt532@aol.com
> > http://www.linkedin.com/in/timothyplatt
> >
> > Introduction: --------- .... --
> >
>
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyLinkedinPowerForum/message/31522;_ylc=X3oDMTJzbm9paDIzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE0NTQ1NDg3BGdycHNwSWQDMzg1NTM0NjM0NARtc2dJZAMzMTUyMgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMTk1NTkzNzE4>
> > Posted by: ____________________
> > Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:06 am (PST) >I am a former
> state worker
> >
> > Congrats on coming in from the "dark side".
> Personally, I regard the
> > gooferment as the human meme that kills us. Sorry
> but Darth Vader had
> > nothing on these blood sucking politicians who
> cause problems and then
> > seek
> > to "save" us. A plague on all their houses. (and,
> I'm a very mild mannered
> > fellow) So, my congrats on finding "honest work".
> >
> > >I am trying to climb my way back up to the top of
> the food chain.
> >
> > This is the part of your post that prompted me to
> write. You need that
> > proverbial "check up from the neck up"!
> >
> > You're not in a "food chain".
> >
> > Unless there is a new diet in Floriduh that hasn't
> been reported in the
> > news. I firmly believe that our "self talk"
> conditions what we can and can
> > not achieve.
> >
> > You may see yourself in a hierarchy and, for some
> reason, you want to be
> > at
> > the top. (Why you'd want to do that is beyond me?
> SO what if you're the
> > top
> > of the tree, you're still out on a limb.) I'd
> suggest that your perception
> > -- paradigms or memes -- I can't tell which -- are
> messed up.
> >
> > I'd suggest that you might want to think about
> what service you are going
> > to
> > perform for your Colleagues and Customers that
> will generate value for
> > them.
> > When you generate that value, you'll find that you
> will be permitted to
> > retain some of it for yourself.
> >
> > But, first, you need to work on your thinking and
> vocabulary.
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> > Check out AOL Money Finance's list of the hottest
>
products<http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001>and
> top
> > money
>
wasters<http://money.aol.com/top5/general/ways-you-are-wasting-money?NCID=aoltop00030000000002>of
> 2007.
> >
> >
>
>
>
> --
>
----------------------------------------------------------
> Lindy Asimus
> Design Business Engineering
> Mobile: 0403 365855
> http://www.designbusinessengineering.com
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/lindyasimus
>

Larry Steinbergwww.linkedin.com/in/larrysteinberg

__________________________________________________________
Be a better pen pal.
Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how. http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

__._,_.___

My Linkedin Power Forum is a professional and friendly discussion group where thousands of members discuss and learn ways to improve their business networking skills.

Encourage your friends to join you and your 7,600 MLPF friends as we focus on the power of networking to benefit our businesses, careers, and causes.

Add MLPF/WHPF Logo To Your Linkedin Profile:
http://www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.BIZ |

MLPF Business Partners:
http://www.yousayit.net/
http://projectstars.com/projectstar/vincent-wright

*****Support Orphans International Worldwide*****
http://www.oiww.org |




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___