user not wanting open invites doesn't have to put on their Profile "I
am not an open networker". ...So when a user who wants to sincerely
do right and build up his or her network, and uses the KEYSERACH for
the term "OPEN NETWORKER", that user will not wind up accidentally
sending an invite who has the word "NOT" before the said
term. ...But like I said in an earlier post, the term "OPEN
NETWORKER" is not a concept originally developed by LinkedIn, but
saomething that developed as LinkedIn evolved. They can run their
business anyway they choose, and I'm not dictating anything to them;
however, the bottom line is that they now have to get with the times
and recognize the concept of Open Networkers and Open Networking, and
begin to encorporate the concept in their rules and guidelines.
Ben J.
--- In MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Allen"
<scott@...> wrote:
>
> Ben:
>
>
>
> I agree that the rules have problems. In fact, three times this
year, I went
> to bat with LinkedIn customer service over friends of mine
who "renewed
> their interest" in LinkedIn and sent out a large number of
invitations - all
> to people they knew, albeit casually - and then got 5 IDK notices.
It's
> clear that is not the appropriate threshold.
>
>
>
> What I would really like to see, that would resolve 99% of this, is:
>
>
>
> 1. LinkedIn to have some kind of relationship strength
indicator, so
> that we could keep track of all of our business relationships, but
be able
> to distinguish strong contacts from casual acquaintances
from "we've read
> each other's profiles and that's it". That would radically change
how I use
> LinkedIn and what I advocate to others.
>
> 2. A field to indicate whether or not you're open to receiving
> invitation requests from people you don't know (opening it up to
weak
> relationships doesn't mean everyone has to be open to receiving
connection
> invitations).
>
> 3. If you say that you are open to receiving invitation
requests from
> people you don't know, the IDK button is removed from your user
interface.
>
>
>
> Actually, #2 and #3 could fairly easily be implemented on their own
even
> without #1, which is more complex.
>
>
>
> That would solve the issues, as I see it. If you're open to those
requests,
> you can't hit IDK and punish people for doing that. On the other
hand, if
> you knowingly send requests to people you don't know who indicate
that they
> aren't open to receiving those requests, then frankly, you deserve
to have
> your account suspended after five of them. The problem right now
is that
> there's no good way to tell, within LinkedIn, who's receptive and
who's not.
> I hate having to put a note at the top of my profile that
says, "Don't
> invite me if you don't know me," but at least I know that if
someone I don't
> know invites me, they didn't read my profile!
>
>
>
> Scott Allen
> Connections
>
>
> 512.215.9720
>
> When an email just won't do
>
>
> Link to Your World <http://linktoyourworld.com/>
>
> The Relationship Economy is here, now
>
>
> The Virtual Handshake <http://thevirtualhandshake.com/>
>
> Opening doors and closing deals online
>
>
> Linked Intelligence <http://linkedintelligence.com/>
>
> The smart source for all things LinkedIn
>
>
> About Entrepreneurs <http://entrepreneurs.about.com/>
>
> Free resources to start and grow your business
>
My Linkedin Power Forum is a professional and friendly discussion group where thousands of members discuss and learn ways to improve their business networking skills.
Encourage your friends to join you and your 7,500 MLPF friends as we focus on the power of networking to benefit our businesses, careers, and causes.
Add MLPF/WHPF Logo To Your Linkedin Profile:
http://www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.BIZ |
*****Support Orphans International Worldwide*****
http://www.oiww.org |
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyLinkedinPowerForum/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyLinkedinPowerForum/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:MyLinkedinPowerForum-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:MyLinkedinPowerForum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
MyLinkedinPowerForum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: