violation of spamming is so vague, that a person that sends a
particular Invitation to a user, one user could interpret that as
mere networking, while another user may consider it
spamming. ...What's the WORST part is that sometimes (as happened to
me), I sent an Invite that is not spam or unwanted, and still get
whapped with an IDK just because the user receiving it wants to be
mean. In my experience, I report my side of the story to LinkedIn,
and they usually respond positively. They take this on a case-by-
case basis.
Also, I'm not a lawyer; however, my unofficial, free, off-the-record
advice to the original poster, of this message thread, based on my
life's experience: if you have not done this already, first contact
LinkedIn and try to negociate with them, telling your side of the
story in detail; also, my guess is that a lawyer will tell you that
both sides have to make a "good-faith" effort to resolve the problem,
at least so you can have the opportunity document the facts and your
experiences of the situation and the entire experience of LinkedIn's
response to you as you see it; usually then, most situations like
this get resolved before you wind up litigating; it may save you
court costs and legal fees, too. Tell LinkedIn what steps you took
in sending the Invite, and why this was either a mistake, or as you
explained on your original post on this group. Also, I was told by
one of the LinkedIn Yahoo group moderators that a user has to get
five IDK's in a one-month period before the user's account is
suspended for awhile; I don't see anywhere where this is spelled out
for SPAM responses; use that information, too. Make sure you also
take notes. Click on the CUSTOMER SERVICE link on the bottom of any
LinkedIn page; there, you can submit your side in writing; you then
should get a response in a few days, which will be in writing for
your records. LinkedIn has been very good about this with me, and I
hope for you, too. I hope it works out for you.
Regards, Ben J.
--- In MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com, Muriel Bell
<madam32114@...> wrote:
>
> If there is anything in their 'terms of service' about
> this alleged spamming, you haven't got a leg to stand
> on.
>
> It is indeed very upsetting since they allegedly
> opened a platform where we can openly solicit business
> and then they slam the door. Can't have it both ways.
> This isn't the first time I heard a similar
> complaint.
>
> Laura Bell
> --- Josie Erent <josie.erent@...>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > I would seriously talk to attorney about
> > this.freedom of speech.
> >
> > Loose and non existent pricey laws in the United
> > States.
> >
> >
> >
> > Josie Erent
> >
> > Recruiter - Marketing, Sales, Operations, Supply
> > Chain, Purchasing
> > Accounting
> >
> > Industries - CPG, Pharma, Software, Cosmetics and
> > other Manufacturing
> > Industries.
> >
> > Talented minds - division of Silicon Executive
> > Search Inc.
> >
> > 416-232-0600
> >
> >
> >
> > Talk to the people at Pre Paid Legal - US firm.....
> >
> >
> >
> > Josie Erent
> >
> > Talented Minds
> >
> > Division of Silicon Executive Search Inc.
> >
> > 416-232-0600
> >
> > _____
> >
> > From: MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com
> > [mailto:MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com] On
> > Behalf Of benjjankowski
> > Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:33 PM
> > To: MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: [!! SPAM] [My Linkedin Power Forum] Re:
> > Punished by LinkedIn
> >
> >
> >
> > I understand what you are talking about. I had one,
> > maybe the same
> > one, who IDK'ed me too on TOPLIST.COM. What you can
> > do is go to
> > TOPLIST.COM, and click on the link to send a
> > moderator of it a
> > message, and report this individual. [Note that I'm
> > also an Open
> > Networker]. What it actually states on TOPLIST.COM
> > is the
> > instruction that if anyone sends an Invitation to
> > anyone else listed
> > on that site, and if that Invitation states that
> > that they were found
> > on TOPLINKED.COM, then that person listed on that
> > site is not allowed
> > to IDK you; however, they are allowed to archive it.
> > So, if a person
> > sends an Invitation to someone else listed on
> > TOPLINKED.COM, and DOES
> > NOT specifically state as said on the Invitation to
> > that someone
> > else, then that someone else is then allowed to IDK
> > the sender of the
> > Invitation. Is that bogus? I think so.! Also, all
> > the rules are
> > not really clear regarding LinkedIn Invitations.
> > There are so many
> > different circumstances.
> >
> > I have had several discourses with LinkedIn via
> > E-mail regarding
> > this. They send me an E-mail a few weeks ago stating
> > that they are
> > suppose to rewrite the rules, because many of them
> > are not really
> > spelled out clearly, especially regarding
> > Invitations. From what I
> > was told from several users (and believe me, I've
> > received so many
> > different answers, I had to combined them and make
> > my best
> > guestimation of them), a user is only allowed up to
> > fice IDK's per
> > month before the account is suspended. Some people
> > like me (and out
> > of the 100's of invites I sent out, I've only been
> > IDK'ed three times
> > since I joined LinkedIn) truly send invites out for
> > very ligitmate
> > reasons, thinking that they were ligitimate, but
> > were unintentional
> > mistakes; I complained to LinkedIn about this; they
> > said they are
> > working on their rules.
> >
> > Here's the problem: LinkedIn is evolving, and they
> > have not adjusted
> > their rules to it's evolution; their rules are so
> > antiquated to the
> > current times. I understand their need to protect
> > users from
> > unwanted invitations and E-mails. This is their
> > original basis.
> > However, the concept of Open Networkers and its
> > development was not
> > something that was intended by the founder of it at
> > the beginning,
> > but was something that developed into what it is
> > today. So, at the
> > beginning, they warn you to be so careful as to who
> > to invite, so you
> > don't get zapped with this dreaded Scarlett
> > Letter(s) IDK. However,
> > they then turn around and give you a limitation fo
> > 3000 invites to
> > encourage you to develop your network. So, it's like
> > a
> > contradiction. It's like Dr. DoLittles push-me /
> > pull-me horses,
> > i.e. the horse that has a head on each end of it,
> > and no back end.
> > So the problemis that at one end, they encourage you
> > to network and
> > make your account grow; and at the other end they
> > want to discoruage
> > you, e.g. waiting for you to mess up so they can zap
> > you! The
> > intention of the IDK was not so some show-off,
> > big-shot user can have
> > this power to click on the IDK button just to mess
> > up your life and
> > make them feel good. If you are an Open Networker,
> > and are going to
> > grow your network on LinkedIn, you are going to
> > eventually make
> > mistakes. You are right! LinkedIn should not punish
> > you. What you
> > need to do is tell them what I'm stating here at
> > their CS link. I'm
> > sure they will show some discretion about this. I'm
> > sorry this all
> > happened to you. Poeple need to say more to them. I
> > hope this helps.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Ben Jankowski
> >
> > --- In MyLinkedinPowerForu
> > <mailto:MyLinkedinPowerForum%40yahoogroups.com>
> > m@yahoogroups.com, "harveyhavasu"
> > <mark.harvey@> wrote:
> > >
> > > My account has been suspended since last Thursday
> > for "spamming."
> > > Despite numerous emails to LinkedIn, they did not
> > contact me until
> > > Monday, after I starting copying Nye. This all
> > resulted from my
> > being
> > > an "open networker," and inviting one of the
> > TopLinked top 50
> > members
> > > to connect - thinking we had some things in common
> > - and him IDKn'g
> > me
> > > and reporting me for spamming, despite the
> > TopLinked.com agreement
> > that
> > > if you are listed on their page you do not IDK.
> > This person has
> > over
> > > 8,000 contacts.
> > >
> > > I am now being forced into a situation where I
> > must file legal
> > actions
> > > against LinkedIn to get my account re-instated. I
> > am a paying
> > premium
> > > member.
> > >
> > > You can read some of this on my profile questions:
> > >
> > > http://www.linkedin
> > <http://www.linkedin.com/in/markharvey>
> > .com/in/markharvey
> > >
> > > I feel I am being treated unfairly by LinkedIn,
> > and if I am
> >
> === message truncated ===
>
>
>
>
______________________________________________________________________
______________
> Be a better pen pal.
> Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/
>
My Linkedin Power Forum is a professional and friendly discussion group where thousands of members discuss and learn ways to improve their business networking skills.
Encourage your friends to join you and your 7,500 MLPF friends as we focus on the power of networking to benefit our businesses, careers, and causes.
Add MLPF/WHPF Logo To Your Linkedin Profile:
http://www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.BIZ |
*****Support Orphans International Worldwide*****
http://www.oiww.org |
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyLinkedinPowerForum/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyLinkedinPowerForum/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:MyLinkedinPowerForum-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:MyLinkedinPowerForum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
MyLinkedinPowerForum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: