[My Linkedin Power Forum] "Giver's Gain" Just some thoughts...

Hello, Group!

When I first read Vincent's post on "giver's gain," I had to look it up... never heard the term before. I thought I had an idea what it might mean, but I'm glad I read some internet articles that clarified it.

When I worked for a small, independent telco in Western Maine, the new CEO had the insight to implement the org-wide *Shared Values* process* (based on our company's specific business values and a stead-fast list of people values established by the Shared Values leadership team). One of the people values states to "put the needs of others ahead of your own," and I think this is related to "giver's gain." If each person/employee in the Shared Values environment puts the needs of others ahead of their own, the workplace is not only extremely cooperative, but also your return on your investment in the "others" comes back around in multiple positive ways. In short, you gain from what you give.

This does not mean that you can never tell someone, "No." It means that they'll understand your needs or reasons for saying it. That's in the perfect world. I don't live there. Turning down someone's request may very well cause hard feelings. But we found that a conversation and the art of compromise often alleviated most of that. When the organization is all on the same page and learning the same skills to create an environment of truth, trust, and mentoring, it goes a long way toward everyone being rewarded with "giver's gain." =)

Robin

Robin Jane Kluz
207 890-7861 c
303 309-4934 vm
206 309-7492 f
LinkedIn Profile     
Sample Work     
MySpace 
Flickr Profile  
Find me on FaceBook and Classmates, too!



--- In MyLinkedinPowerForum@yahoogroups.com, Danielle Dandridge <network@...> wrote:
>
> Very good point, Vincent. I've always been a very giving person, but
> sometimes it feels like certain people in my life expect me to never
> say no, so when I do they tend to get indignant about it.
>
> Regards,
> Danielle
> --
> Regards,
> Danielle Dandridge
> CEO/Website Solutions Specialist
> Paradigm Shift Website Solutions, LLC
> http://www.pswebsitesolutionsllc.com/

>
> Quoting Vincent Wright MyLinkedinPowerForum@...:
>
> > Because it's so easy to get confused by even the most basic of
> > concepts, I like to think of things in terms of other popularly known
> > concepts.
> >
> > For example: On the subject of "Open Networkers".
> >
> > To me, that name seems about as clear as possible.
> >
> > However, not everyone sees it the way I do.
> >
> > So, let's look at another term which is popular with many of us:
> > "Giver's Gain".
> >
> > Many of us believe that concept and many of us deeply invest our
> > behavior, our talents, our resources, our lives in trying to live the
> > "Giver's Gain" philosophy - fully.
> >
> > But does living the "giver's" philosophy mean a one-dimensional
> > approach? Does it mean that we give and that we give only? Do we
> > turn people in saying such things as "Johnny claims he's a giver but,
> > he refused, he absolutely refused to give me his bed. I was so turned
> > off by his refusing to give me his bed that I wouldn't even think of
> > asking him to give me his bread! I really don't think Johnny is the
> > "giver" he claims to be!"
> >
> > Though I believe I've given away more than 80% of everything I've ever
> > owned, no one can give 100% and no one should be expected to be open
> > 100%...
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Vincent Wright
> > www.VincentWright.com
> > www.TeachUsAbout.com
> > www.ForumActionDay.com
> > www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.com
> > Skype = MyLinkedinPowerForum
> >

__._,_.___

My Linkedin Power Forum is a professional and friendly discussion group where thousands of members discuss and learn ways to improve their business networking skills.

Encourage your friends to join you and your 7,000 MLPF friends as we focus on the power of networking to benefit our businesses, careers, and causes.

View MLPF from the URL of your choice:
http://www.MyLinkedinPowerForum.com |
http://www.MyVirtualPowerForum.com  |
http://www.WrightHandPowerForum.com |
http://www.WrightHandPowerForum.BIZ | (Add MLPF/WHPF Logo To Your Profile)




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___